Thursday, December 16, 2010

New Generation Currency

I've been collecting old Philippine coins since college and i've kept some of the old bills too. Actually, it all started with the ten peso commemorative coin that was given to me by my high school friend - i think her dad works in BSP.

This commemorative coin is way thicker, bigger and heavier than any other coins that i have seen.

I've kept that coin since then. During one sembreak in college, i stayed in the province and i found a small box containing around twenty pieces of 1972 Bagong Lipunan twenty-five centavo coins :) i was so amazed! Then i formally started collecting other old coins. I also found one last five peso bill in my old wallet and i remembered my mom giving me her old two-peso bill. Currently, i have about 50 pieces of different old Philippine coins wrapped individually in a piece of paper, all piled in a rectangular tin box. Kuya ron (my cousin who's a better coin collector =P) told me to wrap them separately and to not wipe them as they might be scratched.

And why am i talking about this? Because i've read P-Noy's post on fb about BSP to start releasing the initial batch of new banknotes tomorrow! It's been in the news for a while, but i think i'm still lucky to find it out before they finally release it =D

According to the article New Generation Currency, the initial batch of new banknotes will be released in December 2010 while new coins will be introduced beginning 2012. Current banknotes will remain legal tender for at least three years. The new banknote design will feature famous Filipinos and iconic natural wonders. Philippine national symbols will be depicted on coins.

All bank notes will have a color almost similar to the ones used on the current bank notes—orange for P20, red for P50, bluish violet for P100, green for P200, black/gold for P500 and blue for P1,000.

I am just so excited to see all these new money and keep at least one each of our current ones because for sure, all of them will be history.

Click here to see the features of our new banknotes.



aylaveeet!!! =D



2 comments:

  1. hhhmmmm I just realized i do not have numismatic blog yet.... I'll make one....

    ReplyDelete
  2. R U a Coin enthusiast?

    Get COINnected now!
    http://www.facebook.com/PinoyNumismatistNetwork

    ReplyDelete